Sunday, September 1, 2013

In Search of the New Man

While going through my paperwork, I found an old English Essay I wrote during my year doing Journalism. It was interesting going through my work. I've forgotten how much I love to write.

In search of the new man


The new man, an interesting topic for debate one would say, but lets think of this from this point of view. One could say the concept seems flawed some how, Is he truly new? or has he been buffed and repackaged? Yesterday's toy-boy or today's new leading man? Difficult to decide isn't it.

One could argue that man  has undergone a transformation during the ages and has emerged with new ideals and a brand new face, but, I , like so many other women, find the same problems with him as our mothers did. This time, our roles as women have been changed and so have our expectations. Our men should be clean and polished, sensitive and understanding, smart and ambitious, but above all else, they should respect our need for success.

 But society has counter-acted the news man's image, placing difficult obstacles in his way. The idealisation of women and the emphasis on sex sets our new man back.  Romance has become a thing of the past and the fast lane has become more inviting. It seems our new man cannot cope and thus he is, as most of you, "like a lost fart in a perfume shop".


MAYBE OUR NEW QUEST FOR THE NEW MAN SHOULD BE REDIRECTED AND CALLED:

"In repair of the man". working on an old car is far more rewarding than just purchasing a new model that holds no sentimental value and that hasn't grown, in a sense, on you. I believe perfection cannot be found but created.

Written by Khanya Siphokazi Ramphomane

No comments:

Post a Comment